As a small Angel Investor I aim to be a “friend to the founders” and an loyal supporter of the company throughout it’s growth.
Here is the note that I typically send to founders after making an investment in their company to share how I like to collaborate. I’ve gotten some good feedback on it, so thought I’d share it publicly.
It’s a privilege to partner with you – thank you for including me in your funding round. I’m excited to be on this journey with you and look forward to all you will accomplish.
Here is a short summary about how I hope to collaborate:
- Push, not Pull: I’m rarely going to ask you for anything unless I’ve not heard from you for a long time. If you need anything from me, please reach out to me over email or WhatsApp and I’ll do my very best to help you.
- Communication: It would be great to receive regular updates about the company. My preference is quarterly, as enough time has passed to show meaningful progress but many folks like a monthly cadence as well. I wrote a short post with a template that you can use as a starting point, if you like but if you already have one, please don’t change it for me. I recommend a short email with numbers, highlights, lowlights with any asks from investors.
- Part-time: I invest part-time, mostly because I care about supporting early-stage entrepreneurs across the globe. I will try and help, but if I don’t have the relevant expertise, connections, or I’m especially time-constrained I may be unable.
- Founder Community: I created a group for portfolio company founders to help each other out and for me to send stuff that I think might be useful. Please let me know if you or your cofounders would like to be on the list (although I’ve not been great at using it recently).
- Development: Some of the best company builders are continuous learners and read a lot (e.g. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg). Great books can incredibly useful, especially when I have a specific problem to solve or know that I have a development area. I read a lot (2019, 2020) and listen to a lot of podcasts. Please let me know if there is a specific area of interest, as I’d love to recommend and buy you a book.
- Logo: Please send me a copy of your logo with a transparent background so I can add it to my website.
I’m looking forward to getting to know you much better (and learning from you) over the years and being in your corner through the ups and downs.
My very best,