Updated: July 2021
I’ve been messing around with crypto for many years and bought my first BTC in 2013 for ~$50 (and lost it all in Mt Gox) and also discovered Ethereum at around ~$80 a coin as I was excited about the promise of smart contracts; combining metadata with the transfer of value.
I’ve been following the growth of the ecosystem with investments in other blockchain projects (e.g. FileCoin SAFT in 2017), started making some equity investments in some crypto companies (e.g. Mirror and Ponto), and even a few funds (Acrylic and 1kx).
Most recently, I’ve gotten really into decentralized finance on Ethereum and Polygon but also have been experimenting on Solana and Terra. I also completed an intro “bootcamp” to Smart Contracts from Chainlink that was fun.
Here are a few thoughts to make some of my own learnings easier to consume for folks at all stages of their crypto journey:
- Intro Crypto Strategy: My recommended strategy for most people who want crypto and DeFi exposure. This is fairly simple and just requires a Coinbase and BlockFi account to capture 80% of the benefit.
- Why DeFi?: This is a summary of what DeFi is and why I think it’s an important structural shift for the global financial services system. Many folks have written more complete versions of this, and I link to a few examples. It’s just my own take on why I think it’s so interesting, important, and worth understanding.
- Depths of DeFi: This is a fun post (at least I thought so) about the different depths of DeFi and how the rabbit hole evolves as you get deeper and deeper into the whole DeFi world. There are still lots of layers I’ve not really explored yet and may not ever.
- DeFi Set Up and Project Diligence: Before you start investing in new projects, make sure you understand the core concepts, have some friends as a sounding board and get set up properly, including security as you’re kind of on your own in DeFi land if things go badly.
- My Personal DeFi Strategy for 2021: I have no idea if this will actually generate good returns but if I make XX% APR and learn a lot about the future of finance this will all be a win for me 🙂.